F-1 Visa (Academic Student)

F-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to a foreign individual who plans to come to the United States to pursue full-time studies at an accredited college, U.S. educational school or institution.


  • Have a foreign residence and have no intention of abandoning it.
  • Be a bona fide student that is qualified to pursue a full course of study.
  • Seek to enter the U.S. as a student temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing such a course of study at an established institution of learning or other recognized place of study in the United States.
  • Only study at an institution designated to him/her and approved by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in compliance with the SEVIS program


F-1 students are not legally permitted to work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the academic year F-1 students may engage in off-campus employment.

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
  • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)


A foreign individual who enters the United States on a student visa will usually be admitted for the duration of your student status, means the individual can stay as long as you are a full time student.


The spouse and unmarried, minor children of F-1 holders can accompany them through F-2 visa, the family members are not permitted to work and also to enroll in full-time course. The child F-2 holder may attend elementary school through 12th grade.