M-1 Visa (Vocational Student)

 The M-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to a foreign individual who intends to pursue a vocational, non-academic program, other than language training.


  • Have a foreign residence and have no intention of abandoning it.
  • Be a bona fide student that is qualified to pursue a full course of study.
  • Seek to enter the U.S. as a student temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing such a course of study at an established institution of learning or other recognized place of study in the United States.
  • Only study at an institution designated to him/her and approved by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in compliance with the SEVIS program


M-1 students may engage in practical training only after they have completed their studies. For both F-1 and M-1 students any off-campus employment must be related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS.


A foreign individual who enters the United States on a student visa will usually be admitted for the duration of your student status, means the individual can stay as long as you are a full time student.


The spouse and unmarried, minor children of M-1 holders can accompany them through M-2 visa, the family members are not permitted to work during their stay in the United States.