TN Visa

The TN category is a special category of non-immigrant status created under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) for qualifying professionals who are nationals of Canada or Mexico. The TN classification permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the United States to perform professional services in certain designated professions.

TN-1: Canadian Professional

TN-2: Mexican Professional


  • Must be a Canadian or Mexican citizen.
  • Must intend to engage in employment in an approved profession and have an offer of employment.
  • Must possess the necessary credentials to be considered a professional in the approved profession the applicant is applying under.
  • Must have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer but not self-employment.
  • The position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional
  • Mexican citizens obtain a visa to enter the United States as a TN nonimmigrant whereas Canadian citizens can request admission at U.S. Port of entry


TN status has a maximum period of validity of three years. It may be renewed indefinitely, but it must be done every three years. If an alien wish to stay beyond the time indicated on their I-94 card, they must seek an extension of stay.


Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 may accompany or follow valid TN status holders to the United States under TD status. The family members cannot engage in employment unless they are independently qualified.  Family members, however, can study in the United States while in TD status.